Monday, June 11, 2012

You are the ethicist!

My father recently died. His daughter from his first marriage (which ended several years before his marriage to my mother) has made efforts to stay in touch with me since his death. I have never had a direct relationship with my half sister. She has had a difficult life, missing out on many of the advantages my sister and I enjoyed. I want to be sympathetic to her struggles, but though I’ve tried, I’ve never felt an attachment to her. She has been an intermittent presence and not always a pleasant one. Is it ethical to decide not to carry on this relationship? Or does someone else’s desire for connection, which perhaps comes out of a strong wish to be part of a family, outweigh my personal preference? J.G., NEW JERSEY

How would you handle this question?

Read here to find what the ethicist said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/magazine/halfhearted-half-brother.html

- Posted using BlogPress from my mystical iPad!

No comments:

Post a Comment