Sunday, September 16, 2012

You are the ethicist!

This week...

I recently had a party and afterward had quite a few large bottles of leftover wine (they were opened and wouldn’t keep). There is a particular corner in my neighborhood where benign “drunkards” hang out and drink. They have done so for years, and everyone accepts this as part of our neighborhood. My question is, Should I drop this mother lode of wine off on their perch for them (because who am I to judge their choices?), or pour it down the drain (which would be a “waste”)?

How would you answer?  Here is how the ethicist answered.

Last week...

My 92-year-old father has entered hospice care. He is a lifelong member of one particular political party and is always the first one in line on voting day. There’s no way I can get him to his polling place this November, and while he couldn’t begin to fill out an absentee ballot on his own, is it ethical if I fill it out for him provided he’s still alive in November?

How would you answer?  Here is how the ethicist answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment